St. Margaret Parish, Lowell

A Parish of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston

374 Stevens Street, Lowell, MA 01851-3607 | 978-454-5143 | parish@stmargaretlowell.org

Our History – Page 4

In 1921 the parish debt of $82,000 was wiped out. Until then all Masses took place in the upper church, but because of the growing number of parishioners the basement of the church was converted into a chapel at the cost of $22,000. In 1923 the wooden Corinthian columns lining the nave of the upper church were treated to resemble Siena marble. The cornerstone of the present rectory was laid on September 10, 1927; when the building was completed in 1928, it was debt free. The parish now consisted of 3,500 parishioners. The Parish Directory in May 1928 showed:

Sunday Masses: 7, 8:30, 9:45, and 11 AM
Children’s Mass: 8:30 in lower church followed by Sunday school

Evening Service: 7:30

Weekday Masses: 7 and 7:30 AM

First Friday and Holy Day of Obligation Masses: 5:30 and 7:30 AM

Confessions: Saturday & on evenings of Holy Days: 3-5:30 PM; 7-9 PM

Holy Name Society

Ladies Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Girls Club

Children of Mary

Records show that well over 80 years ago the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established for all the women of the parish to meet their spiritual and social needs as well as to the develop a love of the Blessed Virgin and of the parish. Their revenues go for parish and school expenses and are donated to the pastor for disbursement at his discretion.

On January 1, 1936, the parish celebrated its silver jubilee and Father Galligan’s 40th anniversary of ordination. The celebrants at the 10 AM Solemn High Mass were three natives of the parish:

Celebrant: Rev. John J. Sullivan of St. Catherine Parish, Somerville

Deacon: Rev. Myles McCarthy, C.P., of St. Gabriel Parish, Brighton

Sub-deacon: Rev. Arthur Riley of St. Charles Parish, Woburn

Acolytes: Ernest Pearsall and John Cottress, then seminarians at St. John Seminary

Previous page | Continue reading…